Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The work continues....

I have completed the script for one podcast that is a basic introduction to what GIS technology is and how it is useful in the K-12 classroom. It actually takes longer than you think to feel like you are covering the material in a way that someone else will understand. I have almost completed a second script for introductory use of My World GIS and it dawned on me that this one could be used by my students as well when they will first learn to use it.

I have also spent some time playing around with SnapZ Pro to make sure I can use it. I have not decided if I want to use it with voice recording or without. If I do it without, I would then record in GarageBand so I can export the file to my iTunes library. However, I am not sure I can even do that. I know I can with still shots, but I am not sure about video. That is a task for another day this week.

I went to a workshop at the RCPS Summer Technology Academy about using GarageBand to create podcasts. I had already had training on this, but I wanted to see if there was anything I didn't know, and there was. I learned about adding chapter titles and hotlinks to the podcasts as well as some reminders about copyright laws. This is the same academy where I will lead the GIS workshop later this month, but as of now only one person is registered.

I have not been keeping track of hours invested in this project, but I thought I should start. It is not clear if this is an expectation for the final project for the JMU Educational Technology degree, but it will not hurt. So, today I have spent about four hours even though it seems like I have accomplished nothing. I spent a lot of time working with copying data files into My World GIS and trying to figure out the easiest way to explain this to other teachers. I find data file locating to be one of the hardest parts of any GIS program, because the path to follow may be different for each end-user.

No comments: