Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Starting a new project

O.K. It is time to start blogging again. I can now breath since my AP students have taken their exam and I feel they were ready even if they didn't know the CZM by the name Burgess. I'll know better next year, but most of them figured it out anyway.

Now it is time to really focus on my podcasts for my JMU Practicum project. I have been listening a little to other educational podcasts or watching video instructions on-line to get an idea of what others are doing. I have even joined The Teachers' Podcast group on Facebook. My first topics will be on GIS, since I will be doing a face-to-face PD session in July on this topic. I will hopefully be able to compare the two delivery formats.

I will probably use AEJEE software for these lessons because it is free, and available to all teachers in my school system. However, I want to work a little on My World GIS as well, since that is being bought for my school and I want to use that more with my students.

I have started with scripting my podcasts and the first one will be about what GIS is and why to use it in the classroom. If I decide to make the first one with images, I think I will just use screen shots from AEJEE and put them in GarageBand. Latter, when I make recordings of specific lesson skills, I'll use SnapZ Pro to capture screen activity.

It would be great to find out what others think of using podcasting as a tool for professional development within a school system.

No comments: